Monday, September 15, 2008

Our Appologies To The Nibley 8th Ward

Need we really be the loudest family in Sacrament Meeting? I know you are all thinking right now "yeah, I did see the Quiggle's on Sunday, yike's." Or maybe you walked in the chapel and thought "hhhhmmmmmmmmm let's check and see where the Quiggle's are sitting, and we will sit on the other side of the chapel so we can hear."
I did notice that the family that sat right in front of us AND the family that sat right in back of us were both new in the ward. I wonder if their thoughts were some where along the lines of "this must be some kind of initiation into the ward." Needless to say, I didn't bother making introductions after the meeting. I have been wondering if I should have all the people that sit around us sign wavers stating....-Sit at your own risk. We are not liable for any damages that the following items may cause if they hit you in the back of the head...sippy cups, cars, trucks, books, a hand full of colored pencils, or any other objects. (I picked all these items for a reason, they have all been chucked!)
How in the world do you all get your families to sit so nice and quiet?? No I am serious, I looked around at all of you on Sunday and there you all sat listening to the speakers. Poor Aaron, he had to give I talk. I told him "I'm sure you did really well, I will have to have you give me the talk later tonight because I wasn't able to hear any of it."
I told my Mom about my Sunday woe's last night. I thought Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest. It is pretty much a stressful day for us. I never thought we would be "the family". (you all know what I mean, every ward has -the family-)I feel like I have tried everything. I would love some of your suggestions on how you all do it. I promise you I will give them a try. So let me have them!

11 comments:

kelliemcc said...

I don't have any real good suggestions. I guess you'll have to stay home. Bummer!

Tawnia Zilles said...

When my kids were younger (especially Tanner) they were harder to deal with in church. Now that they are a little older, I do something called a reverent time out. For every minute that they are not being reverent in sacrament meeting, they have to sit that long in a time out at home. It helps my kids most Sundays, but we still have crazy Sundays too. Tanner still is my one that can't sit still. I wish I had more advice, but it does get better the older they get. Until then, I wish you much endurance and patience. I totally know how you feel. My kids have done some pretty crazy stuff.

Julie W said...

Last week we went to stake conference and as we were driving home spence and I both looked at each other and said, "why did we even go?" It is because we want our kids to never remember their first stake conference or first sacrament meeting.
My only advice (although I have 2 kids so this probably doesn't count as good advice) is that you play with them the entire time. You try to listen to speakers, but your kids will be good if you are actively engageing them the whole time. Spence is usually playing tick tack toe with cooper and i am coloring, feeding, playing kitties with savy the entire time. The kids are quiet, but the parents dont get anything out of the meeting.
This is what we do. I dont know if it is better to teach your kids to sit quiet and look at books, or to play with them, but we do what ever works, and it changes every week!
Just keep in mind that this is just a season of our lives, and to make the best (humor) out of what we can do with what we have got!

Jessica S. said...

Everyone thinks they are "the family" that is the loudest. there are plenty more loud then your's I'm sure.
When Dylan was a toddler & Ryan was just born, a sweet older lady that was totally out of touch told me quite plainly, "your children make too much noise in Sacrament. Maybe you should bring them more toys." I was so dishearted. Well another mom, with teenagers said, "don't let her get you down, she's just too old to remember when her own kids were loud." Then that same woman said, "it gets easier. The thing to remember is that you are here at church and you are setting the example for your children."
But trust me, it gets easier. For years we NEVER heard the sacrament speaker. But now that the kids are 9, 7 & 4, we can be pretty quiet.
Another thing I started a couple years ago - no toys or food in the chapel. The kids are allowed 2 pieces of paper & a pencil that they cannot have until after the young men sit down after the sacrament is passed. We started that when the boys were about 7 and 5. It was hard at first, but a lot of the noise was about sharing toys and food.
Who cares what others think of you and your kids. Heavenly Father is happy you are at church.

Melissa said...

Are you kidding me... We are "the family". Don't believe me, ask the Chambers. They sit behind us every Sunday, but don't have the heart to move because then we would know what they really thought. Notice the Johnsons don't sit too close to us anymore. There's a reason. Don't give up too quick. It really does get better. (At least I think it gets better. I'm starting to wonder if I've just developed selective hearing at church.) If ever you need a good cry after church, give me a call. Chances are good I might be having a good cry of my own.

Tom and Audrie said...

I'm with Melissa!!! I did sit pretty close to you on Sunday and I couldn't hear anything over my own 4 kids. Sacrament Meeting hadn't even started yet and we were seperating kids. You are not the "family". Something that works occasionally is I have each kids pick 2-3 little toys to take that they want to play with. That seems better than bringing the diaper bag. We also don't let them play until after the Sacrament is passed. Good Luck and if you get any great advice pass it along I think many of us need it!

Jen said...

All these comments have cracked me up. Hey, I get totally frazzled just getting to church. I think we all feel like our kids are out of control. I'm realizing, nobody pays attention to anyone, but their own kids. So next week I'll sit there knowing the rest of you aren't getting anything from S.M. either, other than the example of being there.
p.s. I didn't hear Aron use his "challenge word".

Likely said...

no advice here Kenzie, I am just glad I am not the only one who feels like this.

Do you guys have sacrament first or last? I think that makes a difference. We have it last and it is SOOOOO hard. And SOOOOO noisy. Did you know Dave was made the Bishop? Last Sunday he told everyone at the pulpit that they needed to be more reverent. Your kids would just blend in here - everyone is really noisy. BIG problem. Move here and feel more comfortable!

Tiff

The Roy Family said...

Thanks for asking for suggestions. Now I have plenty to try out. Not that I could give any advise since Gavin's only 3, but he doesn't get to play until after the sacrament and he gets to choose 2-3 "quiet" activity books to bring with us.
My question is, how do you keep your kids quiet when you're 1)new in the ward and only know a few people and 2) speaking next Sunday? Do you drag your inactive husband to sit with your wiggly kids so he never wants to return or beg someone in the ward and pray that they don't judge you?
I'll let you know how it goes!

r & k said...

i am with you on this one! i had to check out the comments to see if there were any tips i could use.

so far, the only thing that helps me is that Heavenly Father knows i try my best to teach the kids to be reverent and he is the only one i need to impress and he wants my kids at sacrament meeting. Everyone else at church can judge or be irritated, but,hey, i do what i can.
p.s. maybe you could try drugging them? :)

Richard and Marianne said...

Yup, attending sacrament is NO longer about securing a spiritual experience to fill your heart for the week. Nope, it's more like hearing and receiving a MOMENT of strength to grab and hold dear. Years ago, I was walking the hall AGAIN, missing another great message, and I remember wondering if it was worth coming to church, when an older (wiser) sister said, "When my children were young I felt blessed when I heard just ONE thought that could help me. So, dear Kenzie, have faith, keep pluggin', and down the road soon, you will reap the blessings of your love and faithfulness!