Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thumbs, Binkies, and a Crib.

So a couple of weeks ago we went to put the boys to bed.  We couldn't find Barnes a "bink" anywhere. Not good. The boy must have a bink. After searching the house for an extended period of time we put him to bed without it. Now we already had issues going on with him climbing out of his crib (remember the plea for a tent?). Now he was out of his crib screaming for his bink. He screamed for a really long time, and just as he was begining to stop, Aaron found a bink. I threatened him not to give it to him. I figured we had got through our first night, let's just get rid of them. So we did.
We got the bright idea to try and get Reeve to stop sucking his thumb at the same time. We thought this was going to be really tricky. He only sucked his thumb when he had his  blanket. It is one of the fleece ones with the tassels all around the edges. So I took him to the fabric store to pick out some new fabric. We came home with Lightning McQueen. I made it without the tassels. And we haven't seen him suck his thumb
since.

While we were on a roll, we figured we would turn the crib into a todler bed. He climbed out of bed anyway, this just made it easier for him to get back in. Let me tell you what, it was a crazy few weeks! In the end, I am glad we did it all at once. Crazy big boys! I must say, they party like rock stars at night. They definitely have themselves a good time. And we have only come across the following scene a few times......

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Are you kidding me?! I have been desperately trying to get Porter to quit sucking the thumb, but he just looks at me, laughs, sticks his thumb in and says "tricked ya". Can I send him to your house?

Richard and Marianne said...

You are a genius! Or is it Reeve and Barnes who are the genius's?? Love this post. Too Cute! Those boys are so huggable! Miss you all.

Jen said...

You really are genius... I love the new blanket idea to lose the thumb sucking. Who knows, maybe he will cut his own tassles. You better keep the scissors up high!

Jessica S. said...

What great parents you are!!!
Kids fall asleep in weird places... I have many pictures of mine and how they fell asleep.
You have a great family!